Enter your personal details below:
Enter your account details below:
Belfast Tool Library Terms
The tools in our collection are for Belfast Tool Library (BTL) members only.
Out of respect for fellow members, please clean any tools before returning them and report any damage to a tool librarian on return. We won’t charge you for tools broken or damaged due to normal wear and tear, but we do need you to tell us if they are broken. If you would like to return them in better condition than when you borrowed them, that would be highly appreciated!
By digitally signing this document you are confirming that you are capable and experienced in using the tools you borrow, and you will use the tools you borrow properly and safely. You confirm you will read the documents provided with the tools, whether provided digitally or by hard copy, and will use personal protective equipment as appropriate.
You confirm you will waive all claims against BTL, its trustees, volunteers, and employees for any injury that you may suffer in the use of the tools that you borrow.
You confirm you will not hold BTL, its trustees, volunteers, or employees responsible for any liability for the death of or injury to anyone or for any property damage suffered by any person caused by the use of tools you borrow from BTL. You understand that BTL, its partners, trustees, officers, volunteers and employees claim no expertise and make no representations concerning the suitability of any tool you may borrow.
You confirm you will abide by all rules of BTL and understand that failure to follow any may result in loss of membership and formal action. You confirm you have read and understood these BTL terms and release all and any claims you may have against BTL, its trustees, volunteers and employees.
BTL borrower’s agreement and tool use policy
1. Members (“you/your”) must be 18 or over to borrow tools from BTL.
2. Before borrowing tools, you must
(a) complete a membership application;
(b) sign the BTL terms;
(c) sign this agreement and tool use policy; and
(d) confirm your identity and address to BTL.
You can verify your identity and address by providing a valid government-issued photo ID and a second form of ID which includes a current address. Please bring these with you on your first visit to the library. BTL will scan these documents and copies will be kept on record in line with GDPR requirements.
3. BTL may be able to assist in answering questions relating to tools which you borrow. However, by taking any tool, you agree that you know how to use it properly.
4. Only BTL members are authorised to use BTL tools. You will not allow anyone else to use them.
5. Some tools use consumable parts (e.g. sanders use pads), or accessories such as drill bits. Some consumables may be available for sale to members at a fair price from BTL, however it is your responsibility to obtain any necessary consumables. Where tools are provided by BTL with accessories, you must return the tool with all accessories and inform BTL of any missing or damaged accessories on return. You may need to pay the replacement cost of missing or damaged accessories.
6. All tools borrowed must be returned to BTL during opening hours on the date and time specified, otherwise a late fee will be applied. We do not want to apply late fees, but other members rely on being able to borrow tools they expect to be available.
7. The late fee will be £1 per day, per tool until the tool is returned. Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the tool plus a £5 administrative fee per tool. BTL may replace significantly late tools, holding you responsible for the full replacement cost, plus a £5 administrative fee. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing further tools.
8. BTL will use all appropriate means to retrieve significantly late tools or unpaid fines and fees, including appropriate legal action.
9. Tools may be reserved in advance. All reservations must be confirmed by BTL to be effective. BTL reserves the right to make an exception for large community events. No exceptions will be made for individual lending.
10. You may borrow a maximum of three tools at any time. Maximum loan duration is one week
11. You may renew borrowing each tool once if
(a) you renew online by noon on the day before the tool is due to be returned, and
(b) no other member has reserved the tool. BTL may refuse or limit renewals based on demand.
12. You agree if any tool you have borrowed becomes unsafe you will immediately stop using it and notify BTL on return, if not earlier.
13. You agree you will return all tools in the same (or better) condition as you borrowed them, save for normal wear and tear. You agree you will return all tools clean. You agree to pay for the loss of or damage to any item through misuse, and you agree to accept BTL’s reasonable assessment of condition damage, dirtiness, late return, and/or loss of items in part or in total. You agree that the amount we may ask you to pay could be as much as the full replacement cost of the item, plus a £5 administration fee.
14. BTL reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its absolute discretion.
16. BTL membership comes with the opportunity to use our workshop and workshop machinery, subject to availability. To access the workshop, you must have a workshop induction and an induction for certain tools. Please speak to BTL to arrange this.
16. Access to the BTL workshop and borrowing of BTL tools will be refused if you appear to be under the influence of any substances, legal or illegal. Your safety is our priority.
By digitally signing I confirm that I have read and understand this borrower’s agreement and tool use policy, and that if I don’t adhere to the rules my borrowing privileges may be withdrawn and in extreme cases legal action may be taken against me. I have also agreed the BTL terms, relinquishing all claims against BTL.
Already have an account?
Forgot your password?